As I’ve mentioned previously, I have some allergies/sensitivities to certain foods. One of those foods, as you may guess from the title of this post, is banana! Much like figuring out how to make green juice without apple, it has been difficult to get back into the smoothie game since bananas became off-limits. Bananas are the base of so many smoothies as they add a creamy sweetness that is great in frozen drinks!
Luckily there are replacements! In my research and testing, I’ve found ways to keep the creamy smoothie consistency and the nice sweetness of banana using other fruits and veggies! So whether you have an allergy, sensitivity, or just don’t like bananas – I’ve got some great options for you to keep your smoothie game strong!
Base Ingredients for a Banana-Free Smoothie
- Frozen almond or coconut milk cubes
- Frozen zucchini
- Frozen Berries + Nut Butter (for a creamy PB&J effect)
- Frozen cucumber
- Frozen Pumpkin Puree
- Silken Tofu
Check out these great No-Banana Smoothie recipes to see these tips in action, and scroll down to see my latest go-to smoothie recipe!
The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow Turmeric Smoothie by A Whisk and Two Wands
Cucumber Cantaloupe Green Smoothie by Whole Foods Market
Coach Phoebe’s Pineapple Mint Green Smoothie
This smoothie is a refreshing way to add about 3 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit to your day! It is perfect for those who can’t have (or don’t like) banana! Add your favorite protein powder or top with chia or hemp seeds to give this smoothie some extra staying-power.
- 1 cup frozen diced zucchini
- ½ cup frozen spinach (or a handful or two of fresh baby spinach)
- 1 cup fresh diced pineapple
- A few mint leaves (or a couple drops peppermint extract/oil, or to taste)
- ½ cup water (or coconut milk for a piña colada type feel!)
- Throw all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth!
What is your favorite smoothie combo? Do you like bananas?